Why Should You Use PET Plastics for Food and Beverages?
Why Should You Choose to Use PET Plastics?
As environmental health has become a large factor in the packaging choices manufacturers and buyers make, we at Sailor Plastics find it pertinent to address the sustainability of PET plastics used in most of our plastic bottles. Despite what is popularly known about most plastics, PET (which stands for polyethylene terephthalate) can be used sustainably when correctly manufactured and properly recycled.
PET plastics are one of the most sustainable packaging materials used in the industry. Today we will be discussing the aspects of this plastic and how it can be used in a sustainable way.
How are PET Plastics Sustainable?
- Recyclability: First, PET plastic is recyclable. Recycled or reused PET plastic is used to create materials for carpeting, strapping, and more! Plus the material is made from the same elements as paper (carbon, oxygen, hydrogen) so when burned, it will not release toxic chemicals into the atmosphere
- Lightweight: The material is lighter than traditional glass. This lowers shipping costs and offers improved shelf utilization.
- Safe: Plastic bottles are tough and nearly unbreakable. You won't have to worry about them breaking during production, storage or transportation.
- Design Flexibility: Can be used for bottles of all shapes and sizes. They can come in a variety of colors too.
- Long Shelf Life: Very good shelf-life performance, perfect for stores, trade shoes, and farmers markets
- Good Barrier: PET Bottles have low permeability. It will protect the integrity of your products from oxygen, carbon dioxide, and other chemicals.
- Compliant: PET Plastic is considered safe for food use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
PET plastics are a great choice for consumable products across multiple industries including Honey, Juice, Sauce, and many more. They are recyclable, lightweight, and can allow for long shelf life, giving you the best bang for your buck. If you are interested in switching from another material to plastic or are interested in seeing different sizes or styles check out our catalog here.